Sunday, March 15, 2015

Welcome to the Math Art Gallery!

So we are closing in on that spring break, which of course means that because of this and the fact we just finished PARCC testing,  our students are all but checked out.  Perfect time to introduce geometry concepts, right?

Right.

Looking at the CCSS, I go through some of the key terms and words that my students will have to know to continue their mastery of learning targets.  A few are ones they have mastery of, some are ones that are familiar, but most are ones that will need some review.

On Wednesday, I start the lesson.  The students walk in and see a stack of white paper, compasses, and rulers.  They also notice bins of colored pencils and markers up front.

I begin the lesson explaining how hard they have been working and I really felt we needed a day to just relax.  No major lesson today - they will have the period to just draw.

An aura of suspicion goes up, but I continue:

Seriously, all I have planned today is for you to draw.

One brave soul speaks up - "Mr. Taylor, you have something up your sleeve."



OK, there are two conditions.  First, whatever you draw has to be school appropriate.  Second, you have to use these tools as intended for their regular use to draw.  You can not draw freehand at all.  I mean I need to add SOME element of challenge, right?

I then introduce the compass and explain how to use it.  I tell them there is some learning curve (hah) to it, and they will need some practice to build the muscle memory.

There is still some doubt in the room to the 'leniency' of the assignment, so again I emphasize the main points:

You can draw whatever you want as long as it is school appropriate and you must draw using the tools as designed (rulers for straight lines, compass for curves and circles.)   No freehand.

I then pass out the paper and tools.  I explain that each student gets exactly one sheet of paper - if they "mess up" they can use the back, but after that they have to incorporate errors into their art.

I give them the period, making sure students are using the tools correctly and helping them use the compass - in fact I end up setting up a mini-lesson station for this tool.  They are excited and work the period.  They ask about color, and I tell them there is no expectation of color, but if they choose to color that can be done by freehand so long as the original lines are visible.  They are also allowed to black outline by freehand (instead of re-using the tool to trace over an established line.)

Here are a few samples of what my students created:




 They ask about homework, and I tell them they can finish their products, remembering the rules.  Some students borrow compasses, others choose to hand in what they have.

The next day students come in and see their works of art hanging around the room.  I welcome them to the math art gallery and ask them to take their seats.

The girl that spoke up yesterday mentions, "I knew there would be more to this..."

I start by asking who has been to an art museum before.  Many students raise their hands.  We go over norms of art museums:

  • quiet voices
  • you aren't allowed to touch the art work (or even come close to it)
  • walk slowly
  • You shouldn't lean on the walls or use them to write on
  • Don't clog up any areas

I actually had this video prepared in case students were unfamiliar with the norms, but didn't have to use it:  How to behave in a gallery.

From there I welcome them again to the Math Art Gallery.  Their assignment is to find different forms of geometry in the various works of art in the room.  They should take notes as to who's artwork it is in and where in the artwork they see it.

I also tell them there is a definition sheet in two different spots of the room - if they are unsure about a term, they should reference that sheet for help.

They then take the next thirty minutes in the art gallery looking for the terms, but also admiring each other's work.  I wander the gallery with the same worksheet, finding the same properties.  They complement each other as they pass, and I share some of my favorite observations. We all comment on properties that are easier or harder to find.  Some, we note, are quite rare!  Students also remind each other of the norms as they walk.

I really enjoyed that part of the community building - an unexpected and happy outcome :)

After thirty minutes, we all return back to our spaces and review our work.  Students share where they found the terms - scalene triangles, trapezoids, arcs, chords, and so on.  As we review, students become shocked at how many geometric terms are in their drawing - they are amazed that there is so much to their work.  Specifically, the student that did the 3d cube was amazed at what was found.  He said he just wanted to do a simple shape, but it turns out that he and other students found the following elements in his drawing:

  • acute angles 
  • cube
  • obtuse angles 
  • parallelogram 
  • parallel lines 
  • perpendicular lines 
  • rectangle
  • right angles 
  • right triangle 
  • rotational symmetry 
  • scalene triangle 
  • squares
  • trapezoids

Over a dozen terms in that one 'simple' design.  They began to build awareness of geometric terms and properties in everyday objects around them, looking at them through a new lens.  From there students began attaching meaning to the vocabulary.  They gained practice using the tools to create more specific designs.  Their natural curiosity kept the momentum going, and all of this coming the week before spring break.

So for those of you closing in on a week off - keep the lessons real, make the time count, stay away from the worksheets, and keep the students enchanted.


This was my contribution to the gallery.

5 comments:

  1. I love it! The art work is great too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, they loved this assignment :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Worth it for suspicious cat alone, but glad I could see past it for the great content! We do math art, too. Can also make a calendar out of it (and sell to fundraise for class trip....). Thank you for wonderful post! Glad you have something up your sleeve.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh - what a great idea! I will have to remember that the next time I present this :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I am Jennifer Gartell Liebhaber's friend. I'm finally getting to STEAL this!! Thanks Mike. My students will be doing this after AZ Merit next week to solidify their understanding of the geometric concepts I've been teaching them for last week and this upcoming week. Plus, it will enable them to decompress after the two straight days of nothing but testing that our school is doing.

    ReplyDelete