Sunday, January 3, 2021

2021 One Word

 With 2020 coming to an end, lots of emotions come flooding to my mind, body, and soul.  It was a wild year for everyone with events and outcomes nobody could have predicted. My world, along with so many other people, was turned upside down and inside out. 

So as I was reflecting on my 2021 word, one came to mind rather quickly. 

Recenter (should I hyphenate that? Maybe? It is my word, so I'm going with it 😋)

I need to recenter my world.  Last year norms were shifted, relationships were impacted, digital time exploded exponentially... I, like so many others, was trying to reinvent normal without knowing what normal was. It led me to having more anxious days and nights, lower self-esteem and self-confidence, and an overall feeling of helplessness.

That isn't who I am.  So in 2021 I will recenter my world.

Professionally

As an educator I have never felt more lost, scattered, and yet supported than this year. I'm blessed to be part of a wonderful professional community, both in my school placement as well as in the twitterverse. 

My goal here is to recenter my support to others. I'm the math department chair / coach at my school. Over break I created some ideas to share with my colleagues and will offer them weekly as ways for students to do quick (5 to 10 minute) reviews of previously learned concepts so students continue to feel successful with current and previously presented material.  

As many of you know I have a first-year co-teacher this year. It has been a wonderful experience. I really enjoy the mentor role and also get excited to learn from her as well. I'm truly looking forward to the second half of the year and hope to continue to guide and push her in her rookie year!

I also know I need to blog more. I pressure myself into a blog-post-a-week schedule.  This, I've learned, is not reasonable and leads me to feeling helpless about being successful. Once-a-month, however, is well within reason. One lesson, one activity, one experience that I had as a teacher that I can share with the world. And have the courage to know that it may help another educator... 

Personally

I spent lots of time running. LOTS of time - more miles in 2020 than ever before. 2020 was supposed to be a banner year for me for events. I was scheduled to run my first 50 mile / 50k event(81 miles total) and my first 100 miler.  Unfortunately both events were cancelled... no. not cancelled. postponed. They are both scheduled to happen this year. However I fell off the training plans when I learned they were not going to occur. 

This year I am training for those two events even if the actual events do not occur. In June I'll run my 50/50. In October I'll go for my first 100 miler. 

Mentally / Emotionally

I know this is where I struggled most in 2020. I also know there are things I can do to recenter. I set a goal to read 30 books this year. Last year I read about that many, but most were during the lock down when I was literally not able to do much else. I also read a number of books that were re-reads for me. I'm going to dedicate time most evenings to getting off the screens, away from the apps, and getting back into a book. 

I have a couple of books lined up, but if you have any good book recommendations, please comment them below!

I've also set a goal to create a couple of playlists on spotify to help me when I'm having those tough mental moments. Music truly helps my emotional balance, and the right songs can help sway me back to my center.  

I'd also love to get into yoga, meditation, or other mindfulness activities. I've never been successful with these in the past, so if you have any suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

As we all embark on 2021, I want to wish all of you a healthy, happy, and safe new year.  Look for the blessings where they are, find hope and joy in each day, and please reach out if you need anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment