Monday, July 20, 2015

Marathon Update - Goals, Parties, and Children - OH MY!

So much has happened since my last marathon training blog post.  To start, I am running about 20 miles per week with long runs of 10 miles.  That may seem like a lot (and it certainly is), but I still have over 350 miles of training to go before my marathon on October 18th.

First, I want to thank more than two dozen people that have donated to Nationwide Children's Hospital through my run.  I have reached both my original goal of $750 and my stretch goal of $1000.  These funds can buy 10 weeks worth of infant blood pressure cuffs, or four new mattresses for patients at the hospital.

I tell my students that when you reach a goal, you celebrate and then set a new goal.  That is what I have been doing.  Each time I reach my goal I celebrate by thanking those that helped, then set a new goal to reach.

Last week I also got to celebrate by attending RunFest - the kickoff to the Columbus half and full marathon.  It certainly was a party atmosphere with plenty of booths and displays!  It was at this event that we were also introduced to the 24 Children's Champions for the 2015 Marathon.

Each one an inspiration

My younger daughter joined me during this event and she was not disappointed either!  We received so much free stuff from so many vendors including a water bottle, shoe-wallets, girl scout cookies (not a cookie, a FULL BOX!), and a wicken shirt from Girls on the Run.  All of that free stuff got us pretty hungry.  Luckily they also had plenty of free food.

Alexa and I sat down at a table for lunch and began digging into the bratwurst and creme puff from the Schmidt's booth (an amazing local German Restaurant.)   A few minutes later another family sat down, and they were joined by a camera crew.

I asked if we needed to move and everyone said no, so we stayed and enjoyed our food.  We also listened to the interview.

Here is what I learned: I was sitting with Gunner - a 2 year old with a rare type of muscular dystrophy - and his family, an older brother and sister, and his mom and dad.  It was amazing to hear the parents talk about their child, their family, and what their son has gone through in his very young life.  You can see part of the interview on the RunFest 2015 kickoff video. (Highly recommended viewing!)

Can't wait to see him at mile 9!

Gunner is one of 24 children that will represent the Children's Champions.  These are the children, along with SO many others, that I chose to run this marathon.  These are the children and families that need the help.

When I started this journey I used the word perspective.  This is still true to me today.  If you are having a bad day, I strongly encourage you to read about the Children's Champions.  There is a short bio of each of them on the Nationwide Children's Website. It really will give you some perspective.

If you are able to donate, please click the link below.  After you click, select the orange 'give now' button on the right side of the page.  As a reminder all donations are 100% tax deductible.


If you donate $25 or more  (I've been recommending the symbolic $26.20 amount) you get to pick a song for me to add to my playlist!  It is a way for you to 'run along' with me - when that song comes on I'll be thinking of you and how you helped someone in need.   A few of you that donated $25 or more still owe me songs!  Here is the current list of songs as selected by donors:



If you are not in a place to give - you can help by forwarding my message to someone you know can help.  As always, my goal is never to 'guilt' anyone in to giving - I know there are thousands of causes out there and nobody has the means to support them all!

Thank you for reading and all of the support!


No comments:

Post a Comment