Thursday, September 14, 2017

Random Thoughts of a Runner

When you talk to most runners about their races they may talk about their goals.  For a 5-k that might be "run in less than 30 minutes" or "go the entire time without walking."  For longer distances you might hear numbers like "3 hour half marathon" or "qualify for Boston.

Just about two weeks from now I will be starting a race at 6:30 in the morning in which I have a set a goal to "finish before sunset." This is not a hyperbole, and sunset is 7:15 PM.   Most people are not comfortable talking to me about this run.  Few really even know what questions to ask about my run.  When I tell them the length of my race.  Generally the reaction I get is "I don't even like to DRIVE 50 miles!"

Why am I doing it?  Running two marathons?  Back to back?  There has to be a reason.

It's easy - run ten 5ks, then four 5-milers. 

Honestly, there are many, many reasons.  I can talk and write about many of them - health benefits, the challenge, the mental therapy, the time to reflect, the food, for all the people that can't run at all, because some day I won't be able to....  but being a teacher's blog, I'm going to keep the filter with my teaching goggles on.

When was the last time you asked a student to get out of their comfort zone?  My guess is it wasn't too long ago - maybe even today!  Each day as teachers ask our students to do dozens of things each day that challenge and scare them.  We ask them to practice skills that are difficult for them.  We make them read out loud.  We randomly assign them a partner to work with.   We give them tests on which they may or may not succeed.   And we ask them to do all of these things compliantly.

Here's the next set of questions - When was the last time you truly got out of your comfort zone? What have you done recently that challenged you?  What have you committed to that scares or intimidates you?  When was the last time you volunteered to do something you had a significant chance to be unsuccessful at?

So many teachers set goals of "get better at integrating technology" or "to incorporate reading strategies in my science class."    As a teacher pushing your students out of their comfort zone every day, shouldn't you be on the front line leading the charge?

Some have taken this challenge. Have you done it yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment