Monday, September 4, 2017

#TeacherMyth Challenge

Just before school started, I was in a twitter chat where this image was produced



I took this challenge to heart.  How much do we know about our students? We are with them for days..weeks...months... and in some cases years.  Yet with that knowledge, how much do we know about our students?  We know how fast they can complete math facts... We know how many words per minute they can read... We know that they have trouble behaving in class.

But what do you know about the students themselves?  What music do they like?  What sports do they play?  How do you build upon that knowledge?

To start the year I had students complete a google form.  Our sixth graders are in a 1:1 Macbook program with Google accounts.  Many of them have never used a laptop before so teaching them how to check email, respond to a form, or even open chrome is a period-long event.  Students answered a two-paged form.  The first page had basic information such as their locker number, their advisor's name, their birthday, and how many years they've been at Marburn Academy.

Page two asked for some different information.  It included questions about their birthday, their favorite books, movies, singer or song, and "What actor / actress / movie character would play you in your life movie?"

I'm excited for when students start archery

This gives me, if nothing else, a starting point of conversations with my students. I love having this information in the back of my head as I play some of my first three days of school activities.

It has been great to be able to talk to students during class and unstructured times about their interests and get to know them better.  I have learned so much about my students.  In my sixth grade classes I have someone that

  • makes her own usable mermaid tails
  • has played soccer for years
  • is a farmer and made a tractor out of donuts and candy
  • is an Irish Step Dancer
  • is a hip hop dancer
  • loves playing card games, especially Dominion
  • has the nickname "Iguana" when she plays basketball
I'm still working on learning more about all of my students, and don't think I'll have 3 authentic items for each of my students, but just by accepting the challenge I am way further ahead of where I would have been!  For those of you just starting school, I hope to hear how you are getting to know your students.  For those that started a bit ago, it isn't too late!  Find out something new about your students today!




No comments:

Post a Comment