Friday, November 7, 2014

And that was only day one!

Six sessions, over a dozen of presenters, and a night social at a local country bar. If I wanted to summarize everything from yesterday in one blog post I would easily win A Nanowrimo award this year.  So instead I'll sum it up in six words.

(none of these are them.)

My favorite full session was presented by Dave Burgess in a session called teach like a pirate.  With no background in his book I was not sure what to expect.  His energetic style was themed with one concept:  Passion.  Bring the passion - and not just the passion for your content ("WOOOH! WE'RE LEARNING ABOUT PROPER USES OF COMMAS TODAY!!!!!) but passion from your cause - your professional passion.  The reason you ARE a teacher... Your raison d'etre.


People can get lesson plans anywhere...

When I teach a lesson, I don't just throw them a burger and say 'here you go', eat it.   I make sure that burger is prepared.  It has toppings.  It has a side.  It's been cooked.   And if the kid is vegan, I've taken that into account.  I'm teaching at a school that encourages me to try new things, to fail at lessons, to push the limits of creativity.  And when those lessons do fail, going up to my department leader and saying, "well that totally bombed" is met with reflective questions, not lectures on wasting time... Just reflection on what flair I need to adjust.

So the six words.  They come from Dr. Cedrick Gray (@DrCedrickGray)

"Good is the enemy of great."

Don't do good work - do great work.  Don't make a good lesson - make it great.  Students don't remember a lesson - they remember it in the context of the experience.  

Especially if it is covered in flair... with a side of panache. 


No comments:

Post a Comment