Saturday, November 8, 2014

#amle = Amazing Mentors and Learning Experience!

So today was the day - Friday, 4:15 pm - presenting at a national conference.  Nerves and excitement abound, I went to the keynote speaker (amazing talk about drama vs. bullying) and my other sessions.

In the blink of an eye, it is 3:30.  I got to my session on time and set up all my materials.  Then of course, the waiting... for... participants.  I was so glad to see my new friend Jackie (@jbhanlon) as one of the first to show up!  Jackie had given an amazingly informative and vibrant speed session entitled Literacy Gone Wild the previous day.  She showed up to my session full of energy and one piece of advice... the ABSOLUTE NUMBER ONE secret to giving an amazing presentation:


I just laughed as saw her and raised her my bid:

(never leave home without it)

My session began and I introduced myself to the participants.  I don't know if other presenters get this way, but once I got into the actual presentation I was instantly back in 'teacher mode.'  I was presenting on protocols and activities that I had done many times in class.  I was able to answer questions and help educators figure out ways to modify the protocol for their specific situation.   I was teaching educators and I loved it.  

I got to do the same 20 minute presentation three times.  I presented four different student engagement protocols to about a dozen and a half different educators, and all of them loved the activities I taught.  I got so much amazingly positive feedback - how simple and effective they are, how little time they take to prep, how fun they are, how this should have been a 75 minute session, how easily they transfer to any subject.  How I should turn these ideas into a book.

I love my background in education.  I value all of the different experiences I have had.  I have taught  3rd - 9th grades, all major core subjects plus PE, advisory, and health.  I have been in public, charter, and private schools,  and taught in three different states.  I have worked in the Montessori and Expeditionary Learning educational models.  I have training in games and facilitation.  I have a melting pot of ideas and I hope to continue to get these strategies out to anyone who wants them.

I ended last night in my first "official" twitter chat.  This came out of a fantastic session about building a professional network given by Todd (@blocht574).  I got to meet and interact with such a diverse group of educators - teachers of all subjects and experience levels,  published authors, principals, AMLE admins, and even a magician!  What I valued most about this session was that everyone's opinion was valued and nobody was 'the odd duck out.'  Even though many of these people had been chatting for months (or longer) on #mschat, I wasn't treated as a stranger.  

I love being in a community of educators and how willing we all are to share ideas to move education forward.  I'm looking forward to implementing so many of the 15-pages-of-notes I jotted down over the past few days.  

I LITERALLY came to this conference personally knowing nobody.  I leave with over two dozen contacts and so many personal connections.  Thanks to everyone that helped improve my teaching!  Talk to you online and see you all in Columbus next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment